Monday, May 26, 2008

Are Your Loved Ones Hindering Your Weight Loss Efforts?

Sometimes our loved ones can hinder our weight loss goals. Often times their intention is not to hinder us.

For example, I love donuts. There was a time in my life when I simply could not say "no" to them. I would wind up binging on them - I could eat 4 to 6 donuts with no problem at all.

I began a weight loss program. I was following my plan to the tee. Then on Saturday morning, my husband brought home some donuts. "Here honey, I thought you'd enjoy these." I devoured every last crumb.

My husbands intention was not to make me go off plan. He wasn't even thinking that I was trying to lose weight. He simply wanted to do something nice for me.

Your loved ones could be hindering you by tempting you with seconds, cooking your favorite foods, or buying your favorite ice cream.

Here's what you need to do:

  1. Identify your loved ones behavior that is sabotaging your weight loss efforts.
  2. Identify your loved ones reasons for that behavior.
    • Are they trying to do something nice for you?
    • Do they feel appreciated when you eat their cooking?
    • Are they bringing in the ice cream for themselves, not realizing that is making you lose track of your goals?
  3. Tell your loved one what you need from him/her.

You need to be assertive. Tell them exactly what you need from him/her and why. I told my husband ...

"I really appreciate the fact that you love me so much, that you brought donuts home. However as I can't seem to say "no" to them, I would appreciate it even more if you could restrain from bringing them home. A hug from you lets me know how much you care and appreciate me."

I told him in exactly what I needed and why. I showed him I appreciated his gesture, and gave him an alternative action so that his needs would be met as well.

If you are a little apprehensive about approaching your loved one, ask yourself why. It's probably one of two reasons:

  1. You like having someone to blame for your failures. It's easy to say, "I keep blowing it because my wife is such a good cook and demands I eat seconds." Or "My husband is so nice to me he keeps buying me donuts, if I tell him to stop, he may never buy me anything again." If this is you, you need to decide how important reaching your goal really is. Take responsibility for your own actions and stop blaming others.

  2. You don't know how to approach them or you don't want to hurt their feelings. If this is the case then you need to practice ... in front of the mirror, to a friend, or even to the dog. Picture yourself telling your loved one exactly what you need from him/her to help you achieve your goals.

Remember, more than anything else, your loved ones want YOU to be HAPPY and HEALTHY, and will do anything in their power to help you achieve your goals.

Cindy Holbrook has been interested in fitness and nutrition most of her life. Visit her website http://HonestDietReviews.com For a variety of weight loss articles, tips and tricks. Read Diet Reviews to find the right diet for you. Don't forget to read http://honestdietreviews.com Mikes Story - Cindys husband and the inspiration for her website. Mike has lost over One Hundred Pounds!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home